Make Mead Like a Viking: Conventional Methods for Brewing Pure, Wild-Fermented, Honey-Based mostly Wines and Beers by Jereme Zimmerman
2015 | ISBN: 1603585982 | English | 240 pages | EPUB/PDF | 20 MB/28 MB
An entire information to utilizing the most effective components and minimal gear to create enjoyable and flavorful brews
Historic societies brewed flavorful and therapeutic meads, ales, and wines for millennia utilizing solely instinct, storytelling, and information handed down by way of generations―no fancy, costly gear or levels in chemistry wanted. In Make Mead Like a Viking, homesteader, fermentation fanatic, and self-described “Appalachian Yeti Viking” Jereme Zimmerman summons the bryggjemann of the traditional Norse to exhibit how homebrewing mead―arguably the world’s oldest fermented alcoholic beverage―might be not solely uncomplicated however enjoyable.
Armed with wild-yeast-bearing totem sticks, readers will study methods for brewing candy, semi-sweet, and dry meads, melomels (fruit meads), metheglins (spiced meads), Ethiopian t’ej, flower and natural meads, braggots, honey beers, nation wines, and even Viking grog, opening the Mead Corridor doorways to additional experimentation in fermentation and taste. As well as, aspiring Vikings will discover:
• The significance of native and unpasteurized honey for each taste and well being advantages;
• Why trendy homebrewing practices, supplies, and chemical compounds work however aren’t essential;
• Find out how to develop and harvest herbs and acquire wild botanicals to be used in therapeutic, nutritious, and magical meads, beers, and wines;
• Hops’ current monopoly as a main brewing ingredient and the way to use botanicals aside from hops for flavoring and preserving mead, historic ales, and gruits;
• The rituals, mysticism, and communion with nature that have been integral elements of historic brewing and may be for contemporary homebrewers, as properly;
• Suggestions for beginning a mead circle to share your wild meads with different brewers as a part of the rising mead-movement subculture; and extra!
Whether or not you’ve been intimidated by trendy homebrewing’s value or seeming complexity prior to now―and its give attention to using unnatural chemical compounds―or are boldly trying to increase your present brewing and fermentation practices, Zimmerman’s welcoming type and spirit will usher you into thrilling new territory. Grounded in historical past and mythology, however―like Odin’s ever-seeking eye―focusing regularly on the way forward for self-sufficient meals tradition, Make Mead Like a Viking is a sensible and entertaining information for the ages.